The mission of the Northern Colorado Medical Society (NCMS) is to advocate on behalf of our physician members, to encourage a strong and healthy medical profession, and to improve the health and wellbeing of all people in our community.
In support of this mission, NCMS will:
- Provide an opportunity for all physician members to meet and discuss concerns.
- Promote high quality health care to the community.
- Provide services that meet the needs of its members.
- Serve as a forum for health care information.
- Advocate for our members and patients in the public arena.
- Maintain a close, working relationship with the Colorado Medical Society and strive to educate our local membership of our common objectives.
- Forge and maintain partnerships with the local health department, hospitals, health facilities, and other community organizations including the media in advocating for or responding to the health of our community.
- Maintain and provide an organization with the high standards necessary to fulfill the above purposes.
Established in 1903 as the Larimer County Medical Society, the initial function of the organization was to provide a social gathering for the area physicians. Gradually, it developed into a forum for discussion of social, scientific and legislative concerns affecting the health of local physicians and residents. The society also formed a close partnership with the Colorado Medical Society, which represents doctors at the state level.
The Larimer County Medical Society and the Weld County Medical Society merged in 2013 to form the Northern Colorado Medical Society to better serve the physicians of northern Colorado.
NCMS currently has more than 800 member physicians who practice in every specialty and are dedicated to providing the best quality care to patients and to improving the health of the community. Membership includes licensed full-time physicians, physician administrators, retired physicians, emeritus members and residents (physicians-in-training). NCMS has a unified membership with the Colorado Medical Society. Membership in the American Medical Association (AMA) is strongly encouraged.
NCMS has representation on the CMS Board of Directors, the policy-making body for the organization. CMS, in turn, sends a delegation, elected at its annual meeting, to the AMA’s Annual House of Delegates gathering in June and to the Interim session in November.
The NCMS board of directors sets policy for our society and bylaws, which are the underlying regulatory structure of the society.
Working Towards A Healthy Future
NCMS provides valuable educational opportunities for our physician members, actively working to ensure that social trends and their impact on the health of the community are assimilated into best practices. We participate in community initiatives that deal with public health and support coalitions promoting better health in the community.
Find The Right Physician
NCMS can help patients find a northern Colorado physician through a referral service and provide information about a physician’s primary specialty, medical training and experience. Search the Physician Locator database.
Providing Community Services On Our Website
Our website features local medical news stories, reports on our events, and provides links to other local, state, and national health organizations.